With the excessive amounts of food around the holidays, healthy eating is not so easy. Are you the only one who seems to care about your family’s health? Maybe you could try some strategic gifts to sneakily get your family fit. Here are some ideas:
Active Video Games:
Many game systems have incorporated sensors that follow your movement and help get people up and moving. Here are some examples of fun, active games for the whole family:
- Kinect Sports Rivals for the new Xbox One places you in a world of sports competition. It includes tennis, bowling, soccer and other games.
- Zumba Fitness Core for the Xbox Kinect systems provides a great workout without having to leave the house.
- Just Dance 4 for Wii, Xbox, and PlayStation systems, is a great way to introduce some light activity and bring the family together.
And if those aren’t exactly your cup of nog, there are tons more. Try searching for Active Video Games or “exergaming” on Google or Amazon to find the perfect fit for your family!
Give your wife a session in that class her friends have been raving about. How about learning to tango as a couple, or a salsa class? What better way of ringing in the holiday season than by spending some quality time with each other?
Fitness vacation: An adventurous vacation is a great family gift to stay fit together. Go trekking or rock climbing in the new year, or take the family skiing. Idaho has some great ski and snowboard resorts. Set a date for a summer trip of cycling or kayaking, but do keep in mind the age group and skill level (or lack therof) of your family members while planning.
Healthy cookbooks and gadgets:
Is there someone in your family that has become very particular about what goes into their meals? This holiday season, surprise your picky relative with some healthy cooking recipe books, juicers and blenders and encourage using the new tools to cook some healthy meals for the family.
Home workout equipment is a gamble, a bet on your future motivation. How many barely used treadmills wind up as garage sale ornaments every year? However, new products and revitalized interest in keeping fit have created a market for sleek, trendy, workout equipment that might not end up catching dust in the basement.
- Start the new year with a new hobby – get your loved one a yoga mat
- For the fashionable and health-smart get Banglz wrist and ankle weights
- For the tech savvy, a variety of new gadgets are available every year, from heart rate monitors to calorie counters. Staying fit has entered the electronic age.
New toothbrushes and floss:
And of course, we would be remiss if we didn’t suggest dental hygiene stocking stuffers! We all know that good oral health is an important part of good overall health, so give your family some fun new tools to keep them excited about brushing and flossing every day.